This page will remain up until change comes to DOH

including Dr. Torres' removal.

View and post on this page from your mobile phone. Mobile friendly!

This site is NOT affiliated with New Mexico state government

Information

We make every attempt to make sure all information provided is factual and correct. If you find something is not correct or true please send an email to dohcrisis@gmail.com letting us know about the information. The site contains opinions of both the author and readers.

Comments are not fact checked for content but will be removed when it has come to our attention that something is not correct. Thank you.

February 8, 2012

Senior Management Team Realizes NMDOH Morale is at All-Time Low

Morale around the department has been in a rapid downward spiral since the arrival of Cabinet Secretary Dr. Catherine Torres.  With her arrival, employees' need of antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications like zoloft and xanax has skyrocketed.  Employee reward programs are non-existent along with their admin time incentives. Some public health regions have recognized employees for going above and beyond but with little more than a certificate and an email mention given.    The only thank you employees are now given now is an additional job to fulfill because a co-worker has left for greener pastures because they can no longer take the mistreatment and abuse.

Now a Deputy Secretary has asked senior management for ways to improve morale.  Seems that morale is something any leader worth their salt should always be concerned about but then again DOH leadership has been called into question countless times in the past.  Some of you are probably asking yourselves, "How do you improve morale in a soul-crushing place like DOH?"  While others have ideas they just can't wait to share.  Well, here's your chance.  Share your ideas on how to improve morale with your comments below. We would be more than happy to pass your suggestions on to management. Consider this your suggestion box.

30 comments:

1. Not surprised that senior management doesn't know how to improve morale. First admit that senior management is responsible for the morale problems. Yes the fact that there is a leadership "crisis" at DOH is central to fixing the morale problems. Oh, and it might help if you actually cared about the employees you are suppose to lead.

2. Seriously?2/8/12, 9:19 AM

Seems like the question is about a year too late. I know my morale would improve ten fold if Torres left. I bet you would see people dancing in the halls of the Runnels building.

3. Low Morale2/8/12, 9:49 AM

Yes, climb on her broom and fly south one last time.

Replies
    1. But which of her staff will drive her?

2. By any means2/8/12, 1:28 PM

I'd chip in for a one way bus ticket. I take that back. I'd pay for the whole thing. Get her the fuck out of here!

4. Reality Check2/8/12, 10:11 AM

Pardon my skepticism. but I can't believe that the people with the morals of Dr. Josef Mengele are concerned about our morale. If it looks like, smells like.. it probably is bullsh#%

5. Here's a thought...2/8/12, 10:20 AM

We should have "Retaliation-free Wednesdays" or only limit retaliations to Tuesdays and Thursdays. Torres free Tuesdays could work too. It seems we already have "Mental Abuse Mondays" but I don't really see how they haved helped morale so far.

Replies
    1. Dodge, Dip, Duck, Dive, and Dodge2/8/12, 4:08 PM

I would like to see, "Phoneless Fridays." You never know when that cell phone is going to leave Catherine's hands!

6. Hire to the 10% vacancy level would be a start.

Replies
    1. If the Sunshine Portal shows 781 vacancies in DOH why are there only 96 DOH positions listed in SPO?!?!?

2. I am wondering why DOH takes three to four months to get someone hired? NMCD and CYFD both get staff on much sooner. Stop wasting tax payers money fixing what is not broke and work on what is broke.

3. The reason it takes so long is because Theresa Padilla is allowed to make all hiring decisions for the dept. Hire packets sit on her desk and she tells divisions that spo or dfa are slow. In her infinite wisdom she questions division directors need for staff. Make no mistake tp has ultimate power as she controls hiring.

4. Been Around2/12/12, 8:25 PM

I know this for a fact. She lies to the managers. Did you know thatt Teresa and her staff conveniently got raises right before the freeze went into affect? Duffy knew what was going down and made sure her loyal thugs were taken care of. Sick.

7. It's too late to try to repair this bitch's image. Time to leav,e honey! Las Cruces doesn't want you back. You may want to try another state. Alaska seems nice. Maybe some parts don't have the internet yet and you might find a job!

ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe just do the opposite of what they have been doing. Only problem with that is I am pretty sure they don't know what they been doing

9. Only look that way2/8/12, 1:45 PM

The amoral worried about our morale. Give me a break!

Replies
    1. Oh they are worried, about their precious jobs. This madness can't go on. I agree, just fire the bitch.

10. Mirror Mirror on the Wall2/8/12, 4:22 PM

Crazy Cathy,

If you want to improve morale you need to be willing to look into the mirror. Ask yourself, how did I mess this up so bad? The answer should be you couldn't help yourself and then resign.

ReplyDelete
  11. Take your meds Tuesday. The whole thing is a joke. Like cupcakes on Thursday can make up for the beatings on Monday. It's like treating a hang nail when the patient is having a massive heart attack. We need to realize that we are in a classic cycle of abuse. God help us please. Governor Martinez won't.

12. My two cents2/8/12, 5:36 PM

Communication between employees and management is important to an organization that wants to have high morale. The last year with Dr Torres in charge, she has never communicated with us. I am talking about the two-way type, not the 33 page news letter that no one read. Not the Runnels all-hands meeting where no questions were allowed. And not those sneers we have all received from her in the halls or on the elevator. The only personal touch you can expect from Dr. Torres is when you have displeased her and she decides to retaliate. Retaliation at DOH is about the only two-way communication you can expect from Dr. Torres. Again it does not promote high morale.

13. Nothing changes2/8/12, 7:48 PM

I agree that moral is at an all time low at DOH. It started when Duffy Rodriguez took over as CFO/Deputy Secretary. She picked her "Circle of Trash" team, gave them raises and promotions just for being loyal and doing her bad deeds. Yet, she hurt other ASD managers by never even seeing what their sections duties and capacities were. She then re-organized and gave positions from the ignored ASD bureaus to her overstaffed bureaus run by her evil minions. Enter Torres, who buys the snow job the "Circle of Trash gives her. She arms herself with Jim Green who is brawn (lol) not brain and we have a replay of Duff and company. Moral will not be lifted while Torres and the "Trash" are in charge. The sad reality is I don't believe either are going away anytime soon. I made the mistake of looking at the NM Sunshine portal, I was shocked to see what some of these "Trash" folks were making, even the ones in the same pay range and with the same amount of time or even less than honest good managers. Boy did the Duffmeister sure take care of them. The good part is that even though someone might not make the same as them, one has the pride of having morals and integrity and knowing that when one leaves, their money was earned and not made dirty, evil, and unmoralistic like their money. And one asks why moral is low at DOH?

14. Aretha Franklin2/8/12, 8:20 PM

R-E-S-P-E-C-T None given by Torres none received. A real morale buster.

15. DOH Nation2/9/12, 8:47 AM

R-E-S-I-G-N

16. Crazy Cathy2/9/12, 2:27 PM

R-E-T-A-L-I-A-T-E and I'M going to get your little dog.

ReplyDelete
  17. I think they think employee morale means senior staff morale. We will probably see Waterboarding Wednesdays, Torture Tuesdays and Flip out on Staff Fridays. Anyone caught wearing jeans on Friday will have their email monitored for a year. What a deal! You have never had so much attention!

No thank you. I settle for the ugly looks I get from Torres near the elevators. But I think her face is stuck that way so I guess it isn't her fault.

Replies
    1. Don't forget Malevolent Mondays and Tyrannical Thursdays

18. This just in from the fourth floor: the retaliation, harassment and abuse will continue until morale improves!

19. Happy Camper2/9/12, 5:24 PM

I quit.

ReplyDelete
  20. I knew DOH Nation would see the absurdity in this. Too little too late. It's like treating a drowning victim's hangnail.

ReplyDelete
  21. Ding Dong the Witch is Dead!

ReplyDelete

If you would like to conceal your identity select Name/URL or Anonymous from the bottom of the "Comment as " list. Name/URL allows you to add an author name which makes it easier to have a good discussion. You can leave URL blank. Please do not threaten anyone or comments will not be approved.